Courtesy and Safety
We're serious about safety, and you should be too. Please use common sense in and around our services. And, if you see something
suspicious, say something
to the operator. For more information on how to identify a suspicious item or event, visit the Department of Homeland Security's See Something, Say Something
- Report emergencies or suspicious behavior to a bus operator, train conductor (through the intercom on MetroRail) or uniformed security officers. If there is an emergency, call 911.
- Do not jaywalk or walk through traffic. Use traffic lights and crosswalks.
- Obey all warning signals and crossing gates.
- Watch your step when boarding and exiting.
- Never cross in front of a vehicle or run toward a moving vehicle.
- Stand back from curbs and station platform edges.
- It's OK to stand while riding as long as you hold onto a pole or strap.
- Sleeping riders risk being injured from sudden vehicle movements. So don't sleep on the bus or train.
- Do not sit in doorways or stairwells.
- Don't skateboard, rollerblade or bike on platforms or tracks.
- If using a wheelchair, please allow the operator to secure your device for you.
- Buses can pick up riders only at official Cap Metro bus stops or designated areas.
- Don't knock on doors or windows to attract the operator's attention.
- MetroRail trains are faster and quieter than freight trains and not required to blow horns in designated quiet zones.
- If you are standing on or near the tracks, you may not see, hear or feel the vibration of an approaching train. Be alert and watchful.
- Cross tracks only at designated crossings.
- Capital Metro has a zero-tolerance policy for trespassing within the railroad right-of-way.
- The right-of-way extends approximately 25-feet on each side of the tracks between Downtown Station and the Gracy Farms crossing.
- From north of Gracy Farms to Leander, it extends approximately 50-feet from each side of the tracks.
What does common courtesy mean on public transportation? Here are general guidelines we ask everyone to follow:
- One rider should occupy only one seat. Please don't use your belongings or body parts to take up multiple seats.
- Don't block the doorway.
- Supervise your children. Children 10 years and younger must be accompanied by an adult and held securely while the vehicle is in motion.
- Do not call out stop information to the operator. Use the "stop requested" cord or button.
- Do not push, shove or loiter. Enter and exit in a timely manner so people smile at you instead of sigh.
- Enter through the front of the vehicle and exit through the second entrance. This keeps boarding smooth for all riders.
- Remember to take personal items with you. Capital Metro is not responsible for lost, stolen or damaged items