Continuous improvement is our goal, and so we take into account feedback we receive from our customers and from the wider public when considering changes to our service. The June 2019 Service Changes respond to that feedback and are intended to improve the rider experience while
maintaining system efficiency.
These changes were approved by the Capital Metro board of directors March 25 and took effect Sunday, June 2.
The Cap Remap changes transformed our bus network last June and greatly increased High-Frequency service throughout Austin. Now that it's been a year into the process, we've seen great success with the new network. However, we know that several routes can still improve.
These changes were designed to:
Add service to accommodate high ridership on popular routes
- Route 271 Del Valle Feeder
Improve on-time performance for some routes
- Route 1 North Lamar/South Congress
- Route 7 Duval/Dove Springs
- Route 10 South 1st/Red River
- Route 17 Cesar Chavez
- Route 18 MLK
- Route 20 Manor Road/Riverside
- Route 135 Dell Limited
- Route 142 Metric Flyer
- Route 300 Springdale/Oltorf
- Route 322 Chicon/Cherrywood
- Route 345 45th Street
- Route 350 Airport Blvd.
- Route 392 Braker
- Route 481 Night Owl North Lamar
- Route 801 North Lamar/South Congress
- Route 935 Tech Ridge Express
- Route 980 North Mopac Express
- Route 987 Leander/Lakeline Express
A new Park & Ride that fulfills requests made by our customers, the Westgate Transit Center opened June 2. It provides parking for almost 200 vehicles and serves as a transit hub for Southwest Austin residents, with space
dedicated for bikes, Car2Go and other ways to connect to your bus.
Last year, our board of directors approved changes to a number of routes that have now moved their main transfer points from Western Trails Blvd. to the new transit center, which was built beneath an elevated portion of SH 71 (at 2027 W. Ben White). Routes directly serving the Westgate Transit Center (located on Ben White Blvd. between Manchaca and Packsaddle Pass) are:
- Route 30 Barton Creek Square
- Route 300 Springdale/Oltorf
- Route 311 Stassney
- Route 315 Ben White
- Route 318 Westgate/Slaughter
- Route 803 Burnet/South Lamar
Route 3 Burnet/Manchaca, Route 103 Manchaca Flyer and Night Owl Route 484 South Lamar do not serve the Westgate Transit Center but connect nearby.
This spring, we broke ground on the new Downtown Station and began construction on a project that will last at least 2 years. We also need to focus more effort on our
PTC implementation project.
This means that
MetroRail service will be disrupted in some significant ways: Plaza Saltillo is the last southbound stop as we've closed Downtown Station for construction, and we've ended Saturday service until late 2019. You have options though, with expanded MetroExpress service and a shuttle bus between Plaza Saltillo and 4th and Trinity Streets.
Route 470 in Manor has been eliminated and replaced by
Pickup, an on-demand service similar to a pilot service that operated previously in Northeast Austin.
Pickup provides service on weekdays only. Customers can summon their ride using the Pickup app, or by calling in a same-day reservation, and be able to travel within the
Manor Pickup service area.
Some routes have stopped operating school-related trips, E-Bus service has been suspended for the summer and UT Shuttle routes switched to their summer service.
- School trips on Routes 4, 7, 10 & 17 were suspended until the next school year begins in August.
- E-Bus Routes 410, 411 and 412 also suspended their service until August.
- UT Shuttle Routes 640, 641, 642, 656, 661, 663, 670, 671, 672, 680, 681 & 682 shifted to their summer service levels until the fall session begins.