Prior to any contractor entering Capital Metro's Railroad Right-of-Way (ROW), Capital Metro staff must approve all access, activities and the performance of any work. Anyone who needs access to the ROW must submit an application and secure an approved license agreement and/or permit before starting any work. Each application is reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
Anyone working within the ROW must follow all Capital Metro safety requirements, complete the Capital Metro Roadway Worker Certification and maintain a valid certification card in their possession while working. A qualified "Roadway Worker-In-Charge” (RWIC) must be present during any work that has the potential of entering the “foul zone” (25 feet from the center of the nearest track). RWICs are coordinated by Capital Metro's Rail Operations Department.
All RWICs require payment in advance with an option of 8- or 10-hour increments. Cancelation of an RWIC appointment requires 24-hours notice for reimbursement.
Completed applications and the appropriate fees should be mailed to the address indicated on the form. Please make checks payable to Capital Metropolitan Transportation Authority.
NOTE: All plan reviews beyond Capital Metro's technical expertise will be considered a “special review” and outsourced to an approved consultant. The applicant will be responsible for all costs associated with the special review and payment is due before services are rendered.
Capital Metro application process
Please allow 21 business days for Capital Metro to review your application:
APPLICATION PORTAL: Capital Metro offers an online application system for right-of-way licenses, permits and RWIC applications. The system makes it easy and fast for you to apply for any ROW applications. Apply now for ROW licenses, Permits and RWIC.
License Agreement (for installations within Capital Metro's right-of-way)
- Step 1: Applicant must submit a complete Request for Right-of-Way License Agreement (through our online application system) and a $750 nonrefundable application fee payable to Capital Metro.
- Step 2: Upon approval, the applicant will be sent a "License to Use Right-of-Way" for signatures. The signed license agreement will then need to be returned along with first year's annual fee and a certificate of insurance. A copy of fully executed license agreement will be returned to the applicant.
- Step 3: The company or contractor actually performing the installation must submit an Application for Permit to be on Railroad Right-of-Way, a $750 nonrefundable application fee, a certificate of insurance, a $2,500 permit fee and an RWIC request form.
- Step 4: Upon approval of the application, a copy of fully executed permit will be returned to the company or contractor. The company or contractor must coordinate and complete "Roadway Worker Protection Certification Training" administered by Capital Metro and secure an RWIC for any work within the 25' foul zone.
- Step 1: The applicant must submit a Permit to be on Railroad Right-of-Way and a $750 nonrefundable application fee payable to Capital Metro.
- Step 2: Upon approval of the application, the applicant will return their signed "Permit to be on Railroad Right-of-Way," a $2,500 permit fee, a certificate of insurance and an RWIC Request form. A copy of the fully executed permit will be returned to the applicant. For additional information, please refer to the RWIC request process.
- Step 3: The contractor must coordinate and complete the "Roadway Worker Protection Certification Training" administered by Capital Metro. Additionally, the contractor or company must coordinate with Capital Metro's' Rail Operations staff to secure an RWIC during the installation of licensed facilities.
- Step 1: The applicant must submit a Road Crossing Application, a $750 nonrefundable fee payable to Capital Metro.
- Step 2: After approval, the applicant will return their signed "Road Crossing License Agreement," the signed memorandum, the first year's annual fee and a certificate of insurance. A copy of the fully executed agreements will be returned to the applicant.
The Capital Metro contacts listed below can assist you with any questions.
Rail ROW and Real Estate:
P.O. Box 6308
Austin, TX 78762-6308